Costs switched to airport users

TE KŪITI Aerodrome’s finances are going to get a shake-up after it was revealed ratepayers were going to be paying for the development costs of new hangars. While the Waitomo District Council approved the $186,0000 required to set hangar construction back on track on October 6, a clause was also introduced ensuring airport users pay for development costs from now on. CEO Ben Smit said there was no current way for the council to recover development contributions, but it could look at adding development costs to the leases. “Fees and charges should be set at a level where they are rates neutral,” he said. “It’s important that a private enterprise shouldn’t be subsidised by general rates.” The power lines at the airport were deemed too close to a recently constructed hangar. Two other hangar sites leased two years ago, have been on hold while the power issue was sorted. SITES ALREADY LEASED Infrastructure services manager Shyamal Ram said five hangar sites were leased. Two were constructed, but when it came time to re-connect the power the council was told the power lines were too close to the hangar, and the power supply would have to be relocated. The other hangar construction was on hold until the council decision was made, he said. Mayor John Robertson said with the council investing $186,000 in the power supply, he wanted to first call for a plan for the aerodrome’s development. “There needs to be a project management, a proper plan for the aerodrome because we are leasing sheds, building is going on there and there’s no – in my view we as a council don’t understand the aspirations of where all this is going. “Like development contributions, we don’t have them in this council, but ratepayers shouldn’t be carrying the weight of the full investment to support companies that are using the aerodrome,” he said. Ben said information about the aerodrome commercial operations had been provided to a consultant and they were expected to have the first meeting with the consultants in two weeks. The replacement power will be closer to the river on the other side of the reconstructed roadway.

More Recent News

Make your News our News

News contributions: At Good Local Media we can’t always be at your event or assign a reporter to do interviews – but you can still get your story in the Cambridge News, Te Awamutu News…

Funding for Ōtorohanga trio

Sport Waikato supported the distribution of $40,915 through the Tū Manawa Active Aotearoa Fund into three Ōtorohanga organisations in the year to the end of June. A Sport Waikato Impact Snapshot report submitted to the…

An Oscar for Daniel

The excitement is building for Te Kūiti scout Daniel Lindsay as he prepares to perform in the 10th Waikato Gang Show at the end of the month. Gang shows are theatre productions performed by members…

News in brief

Pole position New infrastructure is being installed in Te Kūiti’s Duke Street as part of a Lines Company project to move overhead power lines on SH3 underground. The result will be improved network reliability and…